Episode 23 of Crossing Borders Podcast with Psafe’s founder Marco DeMello, a Brazil mobile security company that’s raised more than $90M in venture capital to create a profitable business.
Outline of This Episode
- [1:22] The new San Francisco headquarters for Psafe and how the company began and grew.
- [7:11] The flip from desktop emphasis to mobile device emphasis.
- [9:37] Marco’s experience in the military prior to getting into business and technology.
- [13:40] Being part of “building the internet” as part of the Microsoft team.
- [16:32] There are no stupid questions but there are stupid assumptions.
- [22:35] The top misconceptions and best advice for dealing with security on mobile.
- [29:06] Why Marco decided to leave Microsoft.
- [31:52] How to ensure ownership happens in your company.
- [38:17] The jump to starting Psafe and making the move back to Brazil.
- [43:34] Advice to Latin American founders who want to find funding in Silicon Valley.
- [47:12] The misconceptions about talent in Latin America and why they stay long term.
- [50:59] Marco’s advice to himself if he were starting over today.
Resources & People Mentioned
- Psafe – Marco’s company
- Spot Runner
- Red Point
- Jeff Brody
- BOOK: Hard Drive
- BOOK: The Hard Thing About Hard Things