Rocio Fonseca is the guest on Crossing Borders Podcast. Rocio, Start-Up Chile’s executive director, talks about what it was like starting up in Chile in the early 2000s, going to the US, working in Silicon Valley and coming back to Chile to lead Start-Up Chile.
Outline of This Episode
- [0:13] My intro of Rocio Fonseca, Executive Director of Start-Up Chile.
- [2:05] How Rocio came to study hard sciences at MIT.
- [7:38] The patent Rocio created and the water treatment business she started as a result.
- [8:55] The hardest part of a startup: How to communicate your vision.
- [13:01] Lessons-learned from her time in Silicon Valley.
- [16:28] The impact Start-Up Chile has had on immigration and the new tech visa process.
- [19:40] The 3 different funding lines available through Start-Up Chile.
- [23:12] Why is it so important to empower women entrepreneurs in Chile?
- [27:05] Rocio’s best advice to women who want to pursue an entrepreneurial path.
- [29:29] Biggest lessons-learned from 1500 startups about success in Latin America.
- [35:23] Why should U.S. investors be looking at Latin America for opportunities?
- [37:13] The advice Rocio would give to herself if she was starting over.
- [40:19] The next big milestones for Start-Up Chile.