Santiago Zavala 500 Startups Podcast
Santiago Zavala is a Mexican entrepreneur turned investor who now runs 500 Startups in Mexico City. He has a very cool story and sheds light into the Mexican startup scene.
Outline of This Episode
- [0:09] Introduction to today’s guest Santiago Zavala.
- [1:22] The track companies have to follow to get help from Santiago’s company.
- [3:15] Santiago’s background, growing up on the front end of tech in Mexico.
- [5:20] The first online venture: a guitar oriented forum and community.
- [12:04] Becoming known for rescuing floundering projects - as a high schooler.
- [21:30] Leaving university and connecting with a new startup in Silicon Valley.
- [26:49] How Santiago got into the investment side of startups.
- [30:21] The first companies the VC came alongside - all from Santiago’s apartment.
- [34:17] Lessons-learned in working with failing and successful startups.
- [35:40] How Santiago connected with 500 Startups.
- [38:02] Opening the application process to all of Spanish speaking Latin America.
- [41:22] The changes Santiago has seen in the startup process in Latin America.
- [45:08] Surprising things about a 500 startups demo day.
- [49:03] Advice to Latin American founders trying to raise money.
- [54:15] Santiago’s advice to governments and investors for supporting startups.
- [58:22] What’s on the horizon for 500 Startups and Santiago?
Resources & People Mentioned
Connect With Nathan
If you enjoyed this episode - would you mind subscribing and leaving a rating and review?
SUBSCRIBE, RATE, AND REVIEW ON iTunes
SUBSCRIBE, RATE AND REVIEW ON Stitcher